The only kit for easy isolation of bacterial outer membrane vesicles (OMVs)
Expanding our exosome expertise to bacteria, SBI now offers the ExoBacteria™ OMV Isolation Kit. The first and only kit designed to streamline isolation of bacterial outer membrane vesicles (OMVs), the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit uses an innovative, precipitation-free gravity column system to harvest OMVs from bacterial culture medium. With OMVs in less than 1-hour and delivering a purity and yield rivaling ultracentrifugation-based approaches, the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit is a great way to accelerate your studies on bacterial communication and pathogenesis1, cancer therapy2, bacterial modulation of the host immune response3, and bacterial OMV engineering for use as vaccines4.
Transmission electron micrograph (TEM) of OMVs isolated using the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit (light blue arrows).
• Unique—the only dedicated isolation system for bacterial OMVs
• Fast—go from cultured bacterial media to purified OMV in less than 1 hour, twice as fast as ultracentrifugation
• Simple—easy-to-setup, precipitation-free gravity column system
• Better—get significantly higher yields and purity compared to ultracentrifugation-based approaches
Each kit comes with enough reagents and consumables to process up to 20 reactions*, enabling maximal flexibility with experimental conditions.
*1 reaction is defined as 30 ml of purified bacterial culture media loaded into a single gravity column.
- Vanaja SK, et al. Bacterial Outer Membrane Vesicles Mediate Cytosolic Localization of LPS and Caspase-11 Activation. Cell 2016 May 19; 165(5): 1106-1119.
- Kim OY, et al. Bacterial outer membrane vesicles suppress tumor by interferon-γ-mediated antitumor response. Nat Commun. 2017 Sep 20;8(1):626. doi: 10.1038/s41467-017-00729-8
- Vidakovics ML, et al. B cell activation by outer membrane vesicles–a novel virulence mechanism. PLoS Pathog. 2010 Jan 15;6(1):e1000724. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1000724.
- Chen DJ, et al. Delivery of foreign antigens by engineered outer membrane vesicle vaccines. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Feb 16;107(7):3099-104. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0805532107. Epub 2010 Jan 27.
How It Works
Demystifying OMV Isolation: A newer, faster, simpler method with high yields and purity
- Clarify up to 30 ml of bacteria culture media
- Pour supernatant into ExoBacteria OMV isolation column
- Wash column with 15 ml of binding buffer
- Elute bacterial OMVs with 1.5 ml of elution buffer
See why the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit is a better way to isolate OMVs
Figure 1. OMVs isolated using the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit are similar in appearance, but with tighter distribution than OMVs isolated via ultracentrifugation. Comparison of transmission electron micrographs (TEM) of E. coli-derived OMVs isolated using (A) the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit or (B) ultracentrifugation. OMVs (light blue arrows) are indicated in both samples, but note the unwanted protein aggregates (red arrow) that appear in the ultracentrifugation sample.
Figure 2. The ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit delivers a narrower size distribution of OMVs and higher yields than ultracentrifugation. (A) Comparison of fluorescent NTA analysis of E. coli-derived bacterial OMVs isolated using either ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit (blue line) or ultracentrifugation (gray line) shows how the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit delivers a much narrower size distribution of isolated OMVs than a conventional ultracentrifugation approach. (B) In addition, total yield is 20-fold higher with the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit (1.38 x 108 particles/µg of protein) compared to ultracentrifugation (0.0657 x108 particles/µg of protein).
Figure 3. Get higher OMV yield and less carry-over protein with the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit. Western blot analyses of E. coli-derived OMVs isolated using either the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit or ultracentrifugation show that (A) the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit delivers higher yield of OMVs than ultracentrifugation—compare the amounts of GroEL in each lane—and (B) the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit preps have less carry-over protein than the ultracentrifugation preps—note the lower amount of flagellin. Each lane is loaded with 5 µg of total protein.
Figure 4. Identify more OMV proteins with OMVs isolated using the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit. (A) Comparison of the total number of proteins identified via mass spectrometry from OMV samples isolated using either the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit or ultracentrifugation shows a wider range of proteins identified from OMVs isolated with the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit. All but 7 of the proteins identified in the OMVs isolated using ultracentrifugation were also found in the OMVs isolated using the ExoBacteria kit, suggesting that the higher yield and higher purity delivered by the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit expand your ability to derive insights from OMVs. (B) More of the proteins from the ExoBacteria OMV kit-isolated OMVs were found in the EV-Pedia database than from OMVs isolated using ultracentrifugation, demonstrating the increased specificity of the ExoBacteria OMV Isolation Kit.