Safely study the spike protein from emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants
Classified as a variant of concern by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in the United States, the SARS-CoV-2 Gamma (P1) Variant has been a major driver of disease in Brazil and shows increased transmissibility  and increased resistance to neutralization . With the pPACK-SPIKE™ Gamma (P1) Variant Spike Protein Lentivector Packaging Mix, you can safely characterize the SARS-CoV-2 S1 spike protein from the emerging lineage Gamma (P1), which contains the following mutations:
Designed to efficiently package most third-generation lentivectors, the pPACK-SPIKE Gamma (P1) Variant Spike Protein Lentivector Packaging Mix speeds and simplifies preparation of lentiviral particles pseudotyped with the SARS-CoV-2 L18F, T20N, P26S, D138Y, R190S, K417T, E484K, N501Y, D614G, H655Y, T1027I, V1176F spike glycoprotein, making it an ideal reagent for vaccine and antiviral drug discovery projects.
Based on SBI's highly cited pPACKH1 packaging system but with a truncated SARS-CoV-2 L18F, T20N, P26S, D138Y, R190S, K417T, E484K, N501Y, D614G, H655Y, T1027I, V1176F Spike protein  replacing the standard VSV-G envelope protein, the pPACK-SPIKE Gamma (P1) Variant Spike Protein Packaging Mix consists of three plasmids that produce all of the structural and replication proteins needed to transcribe and package an RNA copy of an expression lentivector into recombinant, L18F, T20N, P26S, D138Y, R190S, K417T, E484K, N501Y, D614G, H655Y, T1027I, V1176F “Spike” pseudotyped lentiviral particles. As a result, you can conduct a range of SARS-CoV-2 studies under BSL-2 conditions, including neutralization assays, studies of virus interactions with host surface proteins, and the development of vaccines and therapeutics.
For added convenience we also offer pPACK-BALD™
, an envelope protein-free lentivector packaging mix that can be used as a negative control for any pPACK-SPIKE study, or for creating lentivirus particles pseudotyped with the envelope protein of your choice.
- Based on SBI’s popular and highly cited pPACKH1 Packaging System
- Uses codon-optimized SARS-CoV-2 “S” protein from variant Gamma (P1) in place of VSV-G envelope protein
- Spike protein mutations are L18F, T20N, P26S, D138Y, R190S, K417T, E484K, N501Y, D614G, H655Y, T1027I, V1176F
- Ideal for vaccine and antiviral efficacy studies under BSL2 conditions
- Package any 3rd-generation lentivector reporter of your choice, including SBI’s popular LentiLabeler reporters
- Compare with our full range of pPACK-SPIKE S protein pseudotyped lentiviruses to better understand emerging variants
- Use with pPACK-BALD™, an envelope protein-free lentivector packaging system that is an ideal negative control
pPACK-SPIKE Gamma (P1) Variant Spike Protein Lentivector Packaging Mix is available as stand-alone packaging mixes with sufficient plasmids for 10 reactions (standard size) or 25 reactions (XL), as well as in a convenient kit format that includes PureFection™ Transfection Reagent
and PEG-it Virus Precipitation Solution.
See all of the available pPACK-SPIKE S protein variants:
|Catalog Number||Product Description||Spike protein variant
|CVD19-500A-1||pPACK-SPIKE SARS-CoV-2 “S” Pseudotype Lentivector Packaging Mix||Original Wuhan-Hu-1 strain
|CVD19-590A-1||pPACK-SPIKE Alpha (B.1.1.7), SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - Alpha (B.1.1.7, UK) Variant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||ΔH69/V70, ΔY144, N501Y, A570D, D614G, P681H, T716I, S982A, D1118H
|CVD19-640A-1||pPACK-SPIKE Beta (B.1.351), SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - Beta (B.1.351) Variant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||L18F, D80A, D215G, Δ242-244, R246I, K417N, E484K, N501Y, D614G, A701V
|CVD19-650A-1||pPACK-SPIKE Delta (B.1.617.2), SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - Delta (B.1.617.2) Variant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||T19R, G142D, ΔE156-157, R158G, L452R, T478K, D614G, P681R, D950N
|CVD19-630A-1||pPACK-SPIKE Gamma (P1), SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - Gamma (P1) Variant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||L18F, T20N, P26S, D138Y, R190S, K417T, E484K, N501Y, D614G, H655Y, T1027I, V1176F
|CVD19-530A-1||pPACK-SPIKE D614G, SARS-CoV-2 “S” Pseudotype – D614G Mutant – Lentivector Packaging Mix||D614G
|CVD19-560A-1||pPACK-SPIKE N501Y, SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - N501Y Mutant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||N501Y
|CVD19-610A-1||pPACK-SPIKE B.1.429, SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - B.1.429 (CAL.20C) Variant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||S13I, W152C, L452R, & D614G
|CVD19-620A-1||pPACK-SPIKE B.1.525, SARS-CoV-2 "S" Pseudotype - B.1.525 Variant - Lentivector Packaging Mix||ΔH69/V70, Q52R, E484K, D614G, Q677H, & F888L
|CVD19-580A-1||pPACK-SPIKE B.1.351 RBD Mutations Lentivector Packaging Mix||K417N, E484K, & N501Y
|CVD19-600A-1||pPACK-SPIKE B.1.351 S1 Mutations (RBD+D614G) Lentivector Packaging Mix||K417N, E484K, N501Y, & D614G
|LV550A-1||pPACK-BALD™ (Negative Control Packaging Mix)||An envelope protein-free negative control for pPACK-SPIKE
- Coutinho RM, et al. Model-based estimation of transmissibility and reinfection of SARS-CoV-2 P.1 variant. medRxiv. 2021.03.03.21252706; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.03.03.21252706.
- Wang P, et al. Increased Resistance of SARS-CoV-2 Variant P.1 to Antibody Neutralization. bioRxiv. 2021.03.01.433466; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.03.01.433466.
- Ou X, et al. Characterization of spike glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2 on virus entry and its immune cross-reactivity with SARS-CoV. Nat. commun. 2020 Mar 27;11(1):1620. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-15562-9. PMCID: PMC7100515.